The day of the stars

Yesterday we had the Paranal day! Almost everyone (the observatory never stops...) goes down to Antofagasta and we have a full recreation day in one of the most (and the only) exclusive clubs of the city. It is nothing astonishing, but it is a chance to do something different for a change. People are allowed to adjust their shifts to meet the event and to bring their families as well. It is a social event and it works, because it is a day off!

We had volleyball and football games, we had a private beach and we had popular team games, from chair dance to rope competition. Again, nothing absolutely remarkable, but it does bring the people together. I had my first full beach experience in Chile, with my first swim in the pacific ocean. It was memorable, specially because when I came out of the water I had my hand and my feet covered with spikes from sea urshins. They seem to be in every chilean beach, from north to south. When back to Paranal I spent more than one hour with the paramedic, to remove the spikes. Another lesson learned in Chile... At night we had an "event" somewhere, an unofficial birthday party. I love Paranal!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quando fores a Portugal (ao mesmo tempo que eu :) ) levas-me um bocadinho do Pacifico? =) *

Sadino said...

Levo pois, que alguns espinhos ainda não me saíram da mão, nem sairão tão cedo... :s

Anonymous said...

Paranal day é muito à frente lol