The eternal spring cities

First rest period after Portugal (AP), all life switching issues solved, time to explore Chile again. This time I went North, even upper North than before. Destination: Iquique and Arica, two coastal towns, 6 and 10 hours from Antofagasta, respectively, known by their beaches, good weather, surfing and paragliding. Just like the other northern coastal cities, most houses are made of wood, colonial style. This area was not always chilean territory, it was split between Peru and Bolivia, until the Pacific war, where Chile conquered the area to both countries. Therefore, some architecture here differs from other regions of Chile.

I started with Iquique. The weather was warm, though a bit cloudy. Seafood and fish are excellent and in general it is cheap to eat here. I had an amazing 3-course lunch menu for less than 2 Euros. Unfortunately, it is low season and I met very few people. I shared a 6-bed dorm with myself for three days. This was also a problem to find tours. I wanted to visit a volcano national park near the cordillera but there was not enough people to do it. Instead, I visited old abandoned mining towns, the village of Pica, where they grow the limes used to do the famous pisco sour, and La Tirana, a small village where everyone goes to in July for religious festivities. Photo album at the end of the post, this time with captions!!

I then moved to Arica, the so called "eternal spring city", really close to the peruvian border. The landscapes from Iquique to Arica are remarkable. The road is pure desert, but crosses many mountains, gorges, canyons and fertile valleys. The city itself has a different atmosphere, slightly more bohemian than the rest of Chile. There's people on the streets until later, more leisure places and street animation. The weather here was really good, I went to the beach on one day and, though it wasn't crowded, there were quite some people sunbathing.

On my last day, I decided to cross the border into Peru, to Tacna, the closest city to the border. There is a train service, with only one wagon, that goes across the desert, bouncing all the way and with a diesel smell coming through the windows. My first train experience in Chile and it was fun! Tacna itself is not impressive, not much to see, but it is an incredibly active business town and inexpensive as well. I bought two books for less than 2 euros each. The food is also excellent, as expected. I went back the same day to Arica, with a few more stamps in my passport, and in the very same night I took a night bus to Antofagasta. I didn't meet many people this time, but I got back with the idea that one can fairly easily avoid winter in Chile!

2 comments:

Hugo said...

Tou a ver que vais engordar a comer assim esses banquetes. Vê lá se aprendes a cozinhar iguarias desse lado do mundo para depois também tu dares os teus banquetes para a malta.

Belas fotos!!
Abraço!

Sadino said...

Já engordei, esse é que é o problema! Além do mais tenho feito menos exercício! Tu já voltaste? Nem votaste nem nada!! :p