9 / 11

Today is 11th September, an unforgettable date for the whole world, but here in Chile it is reminded for different reasons, for "another terrorist attack", as I was told. On 11th September 1973, Pinochet took over the country and the military dictatorship started. Salvador Allende, president at that time, was killed along with several students and artists (see the post from Victor Jara) who were against the regime. Nowadays, the date is celebrated with fear, riots and violence. Organized rebel and student groups block roads and start conflicts with the police, as a protest. The result is that every place in Santiago closes at early night, students don't go to school and workers leave earlier.

After all I have been told, I was curious to see what happens and decided to leave home at nightfall to take a look. I was at several different places and saw nothing. Everything was in fact closed, little people on the streets. A dead Santiago! The only sign of this happening was a lot of flowers put under Allende's statue near the presidential palace and more police patrolling the streets. I saw no violence, no barricades, no shooting. Back home, I heard helicopters and I was told that blasts were heard in other parts of the city. Normally, trouble happens in the most problematic areas, in the suburbs. Maybe I looked in the wrong places...

1 comments:

Sadino said...

Just to add the official statistics of the night: 2 trucks burnt, 22 policemen injured, 9 civilian injured (1 severely), 234 arrests and power cuts in several districts in Santiago. Apparently the most affected areas were the pheripherical regions and in general it wasn't as bad as last year. Seems like I was in the wrong places indeed...