La Casa Chueca

Around three hours south from Santiago, lies Talca, one of the most important cities of Chile, in the past. It was here where Chile's independency treat was signed, back in 1818. It was also home of several european aristocrats, who settled here and made Talca an important social and cultural point. Nowadays, it still holds a certain class, though its relevance has decreased significantly. In the region there are inumerous vineyards and some of the best chilean wine is made there.

I wanted to do some trekking on the andean mountains and, at this latitude, there are some excellent trails. In my chilean woodchuck book, I found this hotel, a bit outside Talca, called La Casa Chueca. Apart from being highly recommended, it was connected with a trekking agency. I went for it and I'm glad I did it, because I found another go-back-place in Chile. It is a place to relax, away from the city and by the shores of river Lircay, peaceful, cosy and with all commodities you wouldn't even think of, like a pool, jacuzzi or a gym.

There I met Nicole and Dorina, two german interns working at the hotel, the most helpful, friendly and smily hosts I've met in Chile. We went together to do a one-day trek in the park, up to the top of Cerro Peine, but we were told, at the entrance, that there was still snow near the top. We went until snow stopped us, and the view from up there was simply breathtaking. Looking up, we had this basaltic snow-covered peak, while looking down over the valley we could see this green carpet extending to infinite. In the end, we had time to drink something near the park entrance, while waiting for the bus. I met the friendly Tito, a trek guide, to whom I promised to send a decent portuguese flag (he already had a very tiny one decorating the place). It was my first trip south from Santiago...

2 comments:

Hugo said...

Não te esqueças outra vez do bacalhau! :p

Vá lá, andas a fazer algum exercício.. :)

Nice photos!!

Sadino said...

Qual bacalhau?? Isso é alguma metáfora??