La Serena

Tired of Santiago temperatures, I had to keep myself on the move. Since it is rainy season in the south, I keep focusing up north and went three days to La Serena, a cozy coastal city six hours from Santiago. The region hosts several international observatories, including Paranal's older brother, La Silla. The city itself doesn't have much to see, a central square, some pedestrian streets, a couple of parks and a beach, with a lighthouse. A few kilometres away lies Coquimbo, a fishing town, where one can eat excellent and cheap fish and seafood. I didn't eat any meat during these days!

The most remarkable thing to see in this region is a natural park, north from La Serena, called Pinguino de Humboldt. It consists of a few islands not far from shore, home of sea lions, albatrosses, dolphins, birds and, most important, the endangered Humboldt pinguin. I took a one day tour, including a two and half hour boat ride around the islands and a one hour trek on one of the islands. The contact with the sea and the dolphins swimming and playing so close was incredible, not even spoiled by the constant gringo shouts coming from the boat back seats!

As usual, I met people, and it was great! I took a night bus on my way there and at 6:00, while drinking a comforting coffee at the bus station, I met my companion for those days, Ronan, an american student taking one month off in Chile. We were staying at the same hostel, El Punto, the cheapest and best hostel I have stayed so far! There we met Svenja and Katja, who worked at the hostel. We had great fun, specially on one saturday night, featuring one very special karaoke bar and one weird electronic party. The next day I had booked another tour but didn't wake up. Shit happens, but it was worth it anyhow! One week after, both Ronan and Svenja came to Santiago and stayed at my place. It's the spirit and I'm loving it!

4 comments:

HARD CORE MAMA said...

Não páras! E ainda bem, ao menos ficas a conhecer o país de lés-a-lés.
As Chilenas todas también. O teu phone-book já deve estar a abarrotar, confessa
Incrível como até a ver pinguins conheces pessoas novas!

Mariana said...

Parece ser uma zona muito bonita, especialmente o parque natural. Andas-te a tratar bem colega. (e com esta ultima palavra deves conseguir perceber quem eu sou lol)

Sadino said...

Efectivamente não o meu phonebook, mas o meu facebook, abarrota já de alguns connects feitos no Chile. Mas ainda estou a adaptar-me... :p

Agora, outra Mariana é que não sei... De facto desconfio de quem sejas, mas não sabia que também te chamas Mariana! Ou então não faço ideia de quem sejas, colega vet! :)

Mariana said...

Vês como chegaste logo lá lol É verdade, tenho a benção (ou não) de ter dois nomes próprios.