Chilean Elders

I could post today about my last trip, with pictures and all, but instead I will talk about mórmons. Fair trade I think... I hadn't seen any of these missionaries since I left Portugal, but today, at the airport when coming again to work, there they were, five or six elders and one hermana.

Until today, I thought all elders were somehow american, or at least with that gringo look, speaking foreign languages with a bad accent and terrifying innocent homes. But today, I saw chilean elders and that fascinated me! They keep the suit and the plates with their name, their last name, as apparently they refuse to use their first names. They even treat each other as elder X or hermana Y! The hermana was just a kid, with so much make-up on, that she looked more like someone who needed guidance than someone who was able to provide it.

When arriving to Antofagasta, another group of elders, identically dressed, naturally, were waiting for them with a big welcoming banner. They were just kids, giggling in suits, making the whole scene even more unreal. I don't know much about these people nor what they actually do, but they are indeed a lot of fun!

3 comments:

San said...

Ooh, two of these somehow young (they were 20 years maybe) Swedish mormons dropped by my house last week - quite an entertaining moment actually.

Considering that I am kind of like "churches-and-similar-stuff-are-nothing-for-me" then the three of us had an interesting but highly polite discussion outside of the house before they headed towards my neighbours.

Sadino said...

Wooohoooo, one can write about Argentina, about parties and Chile, desert and travelling, but as soon as we write about mormons, Sister San wakes up and steps forward!!! :)

Well, it is interesting to know that they go to such high latitudes as well. I have a theory that at least some of these kids use it as an excuse to travel!!

San said...

LOL!

Well "everyone" blogs about travels, parties, babies, fashion etc but not everyone post stuff about mormons and similar ;)
It was the "exotic touch" of it combined with me being a bit crazy, you know.