San Pedro de Atacama #1

Since one day and two nights in Antofagasta were enough to see the city, I decided to go also to San Pedro, a small and charming pueblo in the middle of the desert. It is a gathering point for tourists, because it has plenty to offer. From half-day géiser tours to 3-day trips to Bolivia salt lakes, bike riding, volcano climbing, natural park sightseeing. Well, the options are endless. After more than 10 years, I biked again, under the sun, during 6 hours, 25 kms, across rivers and between canyons, explored caves, visited old inca ruins, bathed in a 35ºC geothermal pool at 4500 km altitude, watched the most gorgeous sunsets and tasted the nice local food. These experiences are hard to describe. Check out the pictures in the end.

However, this was not the most valuable part of this trip. In the four days I spent in San Pedro, I learned that when you travel on your own, you are only alone if you want. I must say I was only alone for a few hours and I could have chosen not to.

This time I didn't book a room, I booked a bed, in a dorm, thus sharing a room with three more people. I did it because it was cheaper, but from now on I will do it always, because it is just great! That room hosted seven different people while I was there and the atmosphere is awesome because people hang together, either to go for dinner or to schedule tours or activities. That's how I met engineers, accountants, consultants or archaeologists, boys and girls, young and... less young, travelling for a couple of weeks or backpacking for more than half a year. I was in fact amazed with the amount of girls that actually travel fearless on their own.

Pablo (Colombia), Carisa (US) and myself were the ones that stayed together at the hostel for longer. We did quite a lot together and at some point decided to make a parrillada for everyone at the hostel, to bring people together. When there isn't one supermarket where you can find all you need, fun increases quite a lot. So we went outside the tourist area, fetched local stores for vegetables and meat, bargained for quantity discounts and chose a fine chilean wine, all this under the confused look of the people behind the counters. Everyone then helped with the food in an amazing 12 people unorganized synchronization. The final reward was to watch people talking enthusiastically, not only with us, but among themselves as well, around a glass of wine, when a few hours ago they didn't even know each other. Providing some moments of pure joy to people is very very rewarding. In the end, I know I will not be able to keep in touch with everyone I meet, but I keep them with me anyhow.

3 comments:

HARD CORE MAMA said...

"I fell in love with San Pedro", já dizia Madonna.
De facto, pelas fotos, é muito bonito. Já percebi que estás a aproveitar em grande o local e as gentes - o poder de união de um bom Tascanço é surpreendente.
Nas palavras desse outro grande filósofo - Ricky Martin: "YOU´RE LIVIN LA VIDA LOCA!"

Anonymous said...

A man like you can never travel alone Pedro. You're way too...noticeable because you like to tease people, laugh, have fun and so on. You're having a good time over there and i'm glad to know that ;)
I noticed that you've shot some really great pics, some of them could become a nice panorama -especially the ones during the sunset. You can send me some if you like and i'll make a panorama out of them for you.
Um beijo for you

Beruska said...

O que tu fazes para chamares a atenção dos outros...

LOL

Estou a brincar! Acho muito bem que te divirtas e que conheças outras pessoas...